Thursday 14 January 2016

Home Again - 'Home' Series - Book One by Cardeno C.


As far as my infatuation goes with M/M romance, Cardeno C. is definitely one of my preferred authors from a potentially very small list – so far.  He always manages to do very sweet without being overly sickly.

This book is the first in his ‘Home’ series of novels, but as is quite often the way with me I didn’t happen to read them in that order.  Book three was the one that caught my eye, the book about Ben and his struggles to maintain the lie that he is straight and not gay, and not madly in lust with Micah Trains, a gay lawyer working at the same law firm as he is.  Woven through that story was a number of other - dare I say it - even more interesting characters, which as it turns out, each has their own tale out there, so I decided to give the series a try.

I enjoyed getting to know both Clark and Noah, especially the latter because he could appear to be so much more abrasive than any character I have previously come across and then subsequently developed a sort of protective empathy for.  I liked his self-acceptance, the fact that he knew who he was right from a young age and never fought it.  I liked Clark’s patience, his caring nature, his common sense and his responsible maturity.

What I didn’t like was the one lapse that precipitated everything that basically went on in this story.  While I know people do foolish things (me included) and Ben is enough to drive any sane person a little nutty by the way - but, hell, this was just downright arrogant and extremely stupid and more to the point, completely out of character for Noah.  It wasn’t like at this stage in his life he was still a kid and trying to outrun the impending disapproval of his close-minded parents by rebelling and causing his family pain.  He was a sensible, if sometimes still a little volatile man and deeply dedicated to Clark, his partner.  I just really didn’t see this event as realistic.  But then who am I to judge, people are fellable.

As always with Cardeno C. the story had a happy ending and that’s not a spoiler – this is romance after all, and in this case, I was extremely grateful for it because they seemed eminently deserving.  Through the trials that were the consequence of another person’s interference, the couple managed to only grow closer and more caring of each other.


««««

... and here's a few thoughts on the book that started the series for me:- 

Just What the Truth is by Cardeno C


This is book three of the ‘Home’ Series by Cardeno C and was the one that caught my eye, the book about Ben and his struggles to maintain the lie that he is straight and not gay, and not madly in lust with Micah Trains, a gay lawyer working at the same law firm as he is.

Ben’s story was amusing, troubling, annoying and lovely – Micah Trains (and I say Micah Trains because more often than not that is how Ben thinks of him.  He’s not just Micah but ‘Micah-Trains’ all sort of rolled together like one long first name.  Perhaps Ben was channelling his love for Boston Legal – Denny; Denny-Crane???) - Anyway, Micah Trains proved to be the epitome of patience.  Honestly, Ben is lucky I’m not a dude and the object of his affections; sometimes I really wanted to do a Noah all over him and hit him upside the head for the fool he was making of himself and the consequent trampling he was doing all over someone else’s feelings with his immature, self-absorbed behaviour – that was until he sorted himself out and then it was a hell of a sweet story with the inevitably happy ending…

«««1/2

Sydney Whyte

Rating Chart
«……………….A no goer
««……………Alright, but not a re-read
«««………..Liked it
««««…….Loved it
«««««Amaze-balls – ticks all the boxes!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment