Monday 2 November 2015

Reckless by Nicole Edwards - Review


Yay, she’s back just the way I like her.  None of this intrigue, bad-boy bullshit, just a plain and simple, normal people kind of love story.  Well as normal as you can call it when one of the people is supposed to be a million - (billion – who knows) – aire.  He came across as human. Nerd be damned - he was brave and gritty, take the bull-by-the-horns confident, but not an entitled jerk.

It’s a polished offering, lacking unnecessary repetition. Reminiscent of the quality of her older series; and my favourite book of hers ever – Ethan.

Like that book it was back to the basics.  People I felt I could relate to.  I liked them.  I rooted for them to come through for each other.  To get over their fears and their phobia’s, and found myself hoping others with their own issues weren’t going to fuck it up for them too.  That means Nicole succeeded.  I was an invested reader.

By the way, I loved Milly! (Sorry - my favourite character, actually).  Go her – she was a hero.

Dare I say it though; I do have one gripe, however.

The name of the book is 'Reckless'.  I’m sorry, I just didn’t see it.  Cam is apparently reckless but being told that he is, isn’t as good as actually living it.  I got to feel Gannon’s fear loud and clear because we got to experience it with him, but not Cam.  I wanted to know why he was ‘reckless’, how he was ‘reckless’, there with him when he was being ‘reckless’.  It just didn’t happen.  Was he reckless with his life?  Was he reckless with other people?  Was he reckless with his emotions or his friends feelings?

The feeling I got was that he was meant to be a daredevil, but, sorry, flying through the water on a jet ski doesn’t cut the mustard – hundreds of people do it and don’t get that title.  Even implying that there is going to be skydiving at some future time didn't convince me that the man takes his life in his hands enough to earn such a moniker.  One actual scene of 'reckless daredeviling' where I got to feel his rush of adrenaline or whatever, and that would probably have been enough to make it more believable.

Other than that it was a perfect start to the series.  As I said, I’m invested; in the people, their families, their friends.  I’m definitely looking forward to catching up with them again.

««««1/2
Sydney Whyte

Rating Chart
«……………….A no goer
««……………Alright, but not a re-read
«««………..Liked it
««««…….Loved it

«««««Amaze-balls – ticks all the boxes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment