Tuesday 15 September 2015

New Haven Series by Nicholas Bella - Review


Before heading out on my holiday, I took a risk and read the entire series of New Haven (that is out so far) by Nicholas Bella (Genre: Horror, LGBT etc).  I must say that if you are at all of a sensitive nature, don’t touch it with a barge pole.  There are warnings enough in the description to know what you’re getting into, so it’s not like it’s going to hit you between the eyes were you to come across something you might consider a bit distasteful.  A lot of it could be construed as distasteful.

Apparently, I’m not of a sensitive nature, or at least, not as sensitive as I thought.  As I said, I read the whole thing (three seasons, between four and seven novelettes – 25,000 words or so – per novelette) so I can’t be.  It was both appalling, titillating, raunchy, gory - and hot.  I shall never judge Ancient Roman’s again for their addiction to the blood-thirsty goings on in the Colosseum, or their flagrant taste for orgies.  Apparently if I’d been around at that time I’d undoubtedly have been one of those salivating, screaming members of the audience, high on blood-lust and death.  Eek, hard thing to admit.

These are books like no other that I have read before, and seriously other than for this foray into this genre, I probably won’t read  Horror-LGBT again (although I will probably read straight - haha- LGBT because somehow guy on guy action is hot), but this story has me a little bit hooked even though some of it actually is a bit stomach churning.  Weird, aye?

Some premises espoused in the story seem to be pure gay fantasy, at least it appears that way to me (not being gay, and not being a guy, I really couldn’t say how close to reality this fantasy line would prove, but it doesn’t seem to be borne out by statistics so it’s anybody’s guess).  I’m also not much into how there is an undercurrent of disdain for women in general.  But, these characters are vampires, and they really are arseholes to humanity (which is how it should be – no sparkling in the sun for these dudes).  By the end you both love and hate them, root for them and want to see them overthrown.  What starts out as loathing for Theoden (Head of the vampire family in question) is morphed into uncomfortable allegiance by the end of Season three and you find yourself really disliking Deacon (Alpha werewolf and total asshat).

My curiosity is piqued, I want to know how it ends (I can tell you already though – humanity ain’t gona win, so no holding my breath for that outcome).

««««

Sydney Whyte

Rating Chart
«……………….A no goer
««……………Alright, but not a re-read
«««………..Liked it
««««…….Loved it

«««««Amaze-balls – ticks all the boxes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment