Saturday 4 June 2016

Dead Camp 1 by Sean Kerr - Review


For me this was one of the harder book reviews to write.  I actually tossed up whether to do it or not.  I had it recommended on a fan site and heard the chatter about it from others in the group and was expecting something a little different.  My feelings for this book are slightly ambiguous.  I love it and I equally hate it too.

This is the first book in a series and is little more than foundation laying.  It covers only a day or two in the life of Eli but the back-story covers so much more.  What happened in London?  Why does Eli wallow in so much self-pity that even my empathy is exhausted?

I have little affinity with the main character.  I was left to meander bemused through the first half of the book, my attention caught first by one event and then another, to be offered full insight into their story but in reality was gifted nothing more than a mystery.  And then to be tossed from that character to another and then another and then another, to warm to them and then to be abandoned to another tale of woe from the past.  The author created intensity, I felt it deeply.  But my curiosity was never really alleviated.

I only became invested upon hearing the thoughts of an angel, the struggle he had to do what was right when religion/god forbade him to interfere.  His hands tied and unable to help.  I felt for him, for his silence and the accusations of others which I know must have been painful.  He would tell the truth if he could but he is stymied at every turn.
  
The book left me anxious, not alone for Eli, but for Malachi; for the danger he was putting himself in and that for a creature he loves unconditionally, but who in all likelihood was his murderer.  I fear for Ethan, so human and fragile.  I care about who he is and that he will survive.

Mysteries are thrown at me from every angle and nothing is resolved.  Who is Ethan, what has happened to his father?  Who made Eli a vampire in the first place, why does the devil want him so badly?  Why the demonization of a man who was real, and evil in his own right?  Was that truly necessary?  Interesting though.

I love the diary section of the book, the revelations of Isaiah, the innocence, the determination to offer himself as salvation for his future wife.  I loved their story, and their tragedy.  That’s not saying Ethan’s mother Eva deserved to die, certainly not in the manner that it happened.

I don’t fear for Eli, although I suppose I should, after all everything revolves around him, he is the centre.

The style of the book is slow, full of wonderful descriptive phrases - luscious word pictures of misery - that tell you everything and yet still keep their secrets.  What happened in London?  What happened to Gideon?

I found some phrases jarring, mostly that used by Eli.  This story is set in Germany during the war and the incarceration of the Jews and yet Eli comes up with gems such as "fuck", and "bum" for bottom, and "nada, diddly squat".  These terms sound so modern, so familiar, and while they indeed might have been language used in the speech of the day, they didn’t feel quite right.  The London event happened in Victorian England in the age of Jack the Ripper, days when one had their mouth washed out with the mere uttering of the word ‘damn!’  And in Hitler’s Germany I’m sure language would have hardly progressed, especially for one who had hidden away for the last sixty years.

I give it a three because I will definitely re-read some time in the future, possibly because all the information cannot possibly be absorbed in the one sitting.


«««

Sydney Whyte

Rating Chart
«……………….A no goer
««……………Alright, but not a re-read
«««………..Liked it
««««…….Loved it

«««««Amaze-balls – ticks all the boxes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment