Monday 6 July 2015

Caress of Pleasure by Julie Kenner - Review


Caress of Pleasure, an offering by the 1001 Dark Nights books is the latest in the Dark Pleasures series by Julie Kenner, the loved and lost and found again story of Dante - a brother of the Phoenix - and Brenna, a human.  Not being familiar with the world that Kenner had created to accommodate the immortal brotherhood, though of course they live here on earth, I found myself a bit lost.  I didn’t really know the rules, so to speak.  And this vehicle couldn’t give it to me; being a novella it didn’t have the space.

I had no real feeling for the enemy, the Fuerie.  Yes they attack and they’re anything but nice but in this episode they seem more a last moment device to add drama where really there wasn’t any.  Having no real tension build up for the break-in at Folsom's apartment, and no fear roused for the brother’s safety in this endeavor or even for Merrick, the poor soul trapped in the brooch, the Fuerie’s sudden insertion, from out of nowhere, it seems, though two of the immortals were supposed to be able to see their enemies whereabouts, fell a bit flat for me.  Given no explanation as to how the enemy sneaked up on them unanticipated didn’t help either.

I did however like both the protagonists.  The differing narration from first to third person between Dante’s and Brenna’s point of view made my heart sink when I first started reading (I’m not really a big fan), but overall I feel Ms Kenner pulled it off admirably, and I did want to know them more.  And therein lay the biggest issue.  The book was too short for the dynamic of the story, the metamorphosis from devastated, shattered-heart lover to falling madly in love all over again was too quick.  There was too little time given to Brenna to get over her anger, her hurt and find forgiveness for the fact Dante had walked so inextricably away thirteen years before without him really having to do anything… one glass of martini to his face and then she couldn’t help herself but want to bed him even if it was apparently just to prove she was over him.  It needed more… more time, more story, more reality...more…

Starting with the last book written in a series from an author you’ve never read before, however, is probably the wrong way to go about it.  So I’m not giving up.  I liked Kenner’s style, prose, people and my interest is piqued.  I will definitely start at the beginning of the Dark Pleasures series and see how I get on.

«««

Sydney Whyte

No comments:

Post a Comment