Thursday 12 May 2016

Drago Star (Toy Soldiers Book 1) by J Johanis - Review


After having been directed to a blog post by Diverse reader featuring a number of authors who write dark erotic fiction, some of whom I have read previously, an excerpt from the short novel, Drago Star caught my attention.  This is the first in series, and as expected there were warnings everywhere – it is dark fiction; you are left in no doubt of what to expect.

Having read the book in one sitting, I put it down and thought “I don’t know what to think”.  That was six days ago and now that I have had time to mull it over, I shall call it a learning experience.  (Not only can reading garner entertainment, it can help us come to know ourselves.)

The original draw for me was the premise of a small human becoming captive of a beast – a dragon in this instance – it was the threat inherent in the words, the forced capitulation – humanity against the universe.  I wanted to see if Gideon ever gained his freedom; but I also won’t deny that the dark theme of sexual slavery in this paranormal setting was a motivation.

The writer's style in the small excerpt that tempted me fit with all my preferences and my curiosity was pricked.

While the word describing my first reaction at stories end might have been bemused, it is now one of pique.  The story stayed with me, the horror for all that Gideon suffered on his journey, played on my mind for a number of days as I tried to work out why I am a person that would even want to read it.  I know I enjoy erotica ‘with feeling’ – doesn’t have to be romantic, just amazing sex.  This tale held none of that.  (And the violence you might ask?  Well in the paranormal world, physical harm to your protagonist is seldom enduring, kind of like video games – reboot, re-spawn - there is always some paranormal explanation for survival, I’ve found.)  Suffice to say, I’m still unsure why, but something of the dark curiosity in me just wanted to know more.

Having watched a movie some time ago with similar theme where British soldiers were going ‘through training’ to join the elite forces, what was actually going on in J Johanis’s book I suspected pretty quickly, and really I think there was little intention on the author’s part to hide it.  The story was about the journey, the will to survive despite the torture.  The violence and subsequent raping perpetrated on Gideon by his Dragon Master, I found to be one thing but the thing that truly got me was the humiliation he had to suffer as a means to control him.  Gideon does strike me as a sensitive person underneath his determination to win out.  How he will handle his new position knowing what he has suffered is the thing that calls me to read on.

«««

Sydney Whyte

Rating Chart
«……………….A no goer
««……………Alright, but not a re-read
«««………..Liked it
««««…….Loved it

«««««Amaze-balls – ticks all the boxes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment