Saturday 21 May 2016

Z: A Demonica Underworld Novella by Larissa Ione - Review


My monthly 1001 Dark Nights fix!

I’ve had this book on my ‘to-read-list’ for a little while now - less than a month actually when I look back to see when I bought it, so not really that long - but when I’d come to the end of my MM bender, which honestly is never really over for me, it was this author that I headed straight for.  While I haven’t read every single one of her books I would consider myself a ‘Demonica’ addict if not a ‘Larissa Ione’ one, because I have read all of those associated with the world that she has created in this wonderful series.

As an intro back into the world of FM romance this one was an excellent starting point.  For one thing, I love that her females are not only a little vulnerable but are eminently sassy, dangerous and borderline evil (some of them anyway).  No simpering for an Ione heroine, and best of all most of them are far from virginal.  It is a pet hate of mine that women are portrayed often in romance as either pure and unsullied, or of singular or little experience if they’ve managed to do any of ‘it’ at all, while Mr Loverboy has basically had the privilege of being an all-out man-whore and gets a great big pat on the back for it.

Well, no problem here.  This is the norm turned on its head.  Vex is a sexy, mouthy, sassy soul-catcher and Z, a fallen angel imprisoned to the promise of fidelity to his previous love who fell and died thirty years ago.  It is her soul he is desperate to find.  And of course - cue fate - Vex finally brings her soul to him while trying to coerce Azagoth to save her own from a nasty piece of work escaping from Sheoul, who has been sucked into her and threatens to take her over.

It was great to immerse myself in the shenanigans of Sheoul-gra and Azagoth’s realm again.  I have loved and revisited its colourful characters on numerable occasions and this is another that I will definitely add to the revisit list.


««««

Sydney Whyte

Rating Chart
«……………….A no goer
««……………Alright, but not a re-read
«««………..Liked it
««««…….Loved it
«««««Amaze-balls – ticks all the boxes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment