Tuesday 16 June 2015

Waiting for Morning (a Sniper One Security Novel) by Nicole Edwards


Although I don’t own all Nicole Edwards offerings, I do own most – my favorite being the Alluring Indulgence series.  After reading and liking the excerpt of 'Waiting for Morning' in Nicole Edward's newsletter I was looking forward to this new series.  For me Nicole is usually a four or a five star player.  Honestly, I was disappointed.

I have nothing against the characters she’s created, the protagonists, Trace and Marissa.  They’re fine people.  But I never really managed to develop empathy for them either.  Their storyline felt a little unrealistic, the situation nothing more than a means for the two of them to be compelled together.  In this case, it wasn’t necessary.  They had grown up with each other, fancied the pants off each other from the time Marissa was a teenager though Trace had remained shtum.  To top it off, although the skulduggery and danger made for fine reading the villain and the need for villainy came across as a little lame.

Having a crossover of characters with the final book Brendon in the Alluring Indulgence series (4 stars for that book, btw), the necessity to get this novel out before that went live has meant quality has suffered.  Some facts were repeated way more than necessary and even couched in the same phraseology.  I found this to be frustrating and a little patronizing - they were facts I remembered already. This trait was not so evident in the previous books of Nicole's that I have read.

Other than Z and RT, characters who piqued my interest, I’m not yet sure whether I will continue with this and the spin-off series The Southern Boy Mafia.


««1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment