Saturday 12 March 2016

Rough Rhythm (a Made in Jersey Novella) by Tessa Bailey

My monthly 1001 Dark Nights fix!


To me the characters, the words, flowed like a rhythm in themselves.  The feeling created was almost palpable and left me greedy for more.  Tessa Bailey is an amazing author.

There is a warning with this story.  Rough Rhythm contains fantasies of non-consensual sex between two consenting people.  While on the one hand I understand the rape fantasy, I just can’t imagine acting it out in reality even with a consenting partner, someone I trust to never hurt me.  It is a big ask of any person, to become so vulnerable to them, to allow yourself to become a 'victim', and for them to know the difference between true violence, and giving you what you need – domination. 

I can understand James’ confusion, his mistaking his actions as those of a violent man rather than a dominant one, and running from it.  

Even after having finished the book I still have to admit I don’t really understand Lita.  Her acting out for those four years just to get a reaction from James smacked of immaturity, but then she was very young.  But I loved how she pursued him, her strength and determination.  How she knew herself, and what she wanted.  She wanted him – the truth of him, and how deeply they affected each other.  I loved them in their loss and pain, in their heartache and confusion, and their eventual enlightenment and passion.

««««1/2

Sydney Whyte

Rating Chart
«……………….A no goer
««……………Alright, but not a re-read
«««………..Liked it
««««…….Loved it
«««««Amaze-balls – ticks all the boxes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment