Wednesday 23 March 2016

'Rulers of Darkness' Box Set by Amanda J Greene


Being currently on a box set/anthology bender, I thought I’d give Amanda J Greene’s ‘Rulers of Darkness’ a little attention.  It promised to offer some much loved dark and lusty vampire fare - Vampire kings, dark knights, wicked witches; and fair maidens destined to fall into their fateful clutches.

I have to confess, for my taste, these three books smacked a little too ‘Mills & Boon’ for a ripping vampire yarn. - Am I showing my age?  Should that be ‘Harlequin’ I should have said there?  Anyway you get the picture… - Shades of Pemberley littered the first chapters of the first instalment ‘Caressed by Moonlight’ where our hapless heroine, Victoria, falls under the dark and dangerous Dorian’s spell.  Not until they are heading back to his homeland does the vampire lurking beneath Dorian’s lusty but trustworthy (I’m not really sure these descriptions really go hand in hand but, oh well) demeanour revealing his dark and hungry nature.

Book two ‘Caressed by Night’ had our darling, virginal-at-26 heroine, Kerstyn Ingmar, who just happens to live in Vegas and sometimes frequents clubs, but still can’t get past the third date with any man (honestly, third date! Vegas! Clubs! Men! Virginal? Really?).  I know, I know the Madonna complex still rules in the romance world apparently) meeting the only surviving of the original Vampire Kings, the dark, powerful, and tormented Dimitri Arsov, and becomes unwittingly involved in his plans to exact his revenge on an enemy who had many years previous tried to kill him and usurp his rule.

'Caressed by a Crimson Moon’s' recently returned to sanity, (but not really - that damned demon kept wanting to rear its foul and dangerously murderous, ugly head) King Hadrian has many deep and dark secrets that only his ward Eva Maldonado can seem to quieten.  Inexplicably drawn together, this couple instantly burned with an undeniable passion for each other that threatened to send both of them over the edge.

There was enough pain, guilt, murder, intrigue, manipulation, lust, desire, tension, sex, fate ,love; tormented heroes and determined (although virginal – did I mention that?) heroines to sate any appetite, I could forgive the fact that the books suffered from both a lack of editing and some obvious formatting issues.  The attempt in book one to create the formality of 1815’s London fell a little flat when casual colloquialism invaded some of the dialogue and characters' contemplation, and then appeared to be completely abandoned (apart from a few jarring patches of dialogue) further through the book – but I applaud the effort, I’m sure it’s not an easy thing to maintain flowery elocution when you no longer actually live with it all around you.

Written in third person - which is my usual preference - these books had the reader exposed to multiple points of view within each chapter, within each paragraph even.  I’m not sure whether I felt this detracted from the narrative or not because it gave almost instant access to the thoughts of the various characters in question at any given time, but I think it did beggar the mystery and tension that that lack of knowledge can often create in a reader.

Despite these niggles I did enjoy these rollicking yarns spun by Amanda and look forward to reading ‘Caressed by Shadows’ book four of the Rulers of Darkness series.

«««
Sydney Whyte

Rating Chart
«……………….A no goer
««……………Alright, but not a re-read
«««………..Liked it
««««…….Loved it

«««««Amaze-balls – ticks all the boxes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment